Human Rights Challenges
According to the 2019 Universal Periodic Review from the United Nations, the human rights challenges in Slovakia relates to, among others:
- Racial discrimination against different minorities, especially Roma, Muslims and persons of African descent.
- Increasingly hostile environment against persons on the basis of their actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
- Excessive use of force by law enforcement officials, mostly after apprehension, which might amount to ill-treatment or torture, and also at the low number of complaints, prosecutions and convictions in such cases.
- Human trafficking, the lenient sentencing of perpetrators and the vulnerability of Roma women and girls.
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Early childhood care and education.
- Human rights education in school curricula.
- Discriminatory stereotypes regarding the roles and responsibilities of women in society and family.
- Prevalence of gender-based violence and harmful practices against women.
Read more here.
Civic Leader for the Long Run
Aim: Strengthen the leadership capacity and those non-profit organizations that will continue to be the pillars of civil society, as well as strengthen mutual learning and cooperation of key non-profit organizations in the regions.
Photo: Partners for Democratic Change Slovakia (PDCS)